We Are Montpelier, Stage-Set Design

We Are Montpelier, Stage-Set Design

In April 2015, I was one of two resident artists–along with composer Evan Premo–for the Main Street Middle School in Montpelier. In collaboration with the Community Engagement Lab, I worked with forty 7th and 8th graders, to design and construct a stage-set to reflect the theme of My Hometown. The students used a wide variety […]

‘We Are Randolph’, Lantern Procession April 2015

Posted on Feb 25, 2015 in Community, Education, Lanterns
‘We Are Randolph’, Lantern Procession April 2015

A community lantern procession will be taking place in Randolph, VT on April 10th 2015, as part of ‘We Are Vermont: A Celebration of Hometown’, in conjunction with the Community Engagement Lab. The first session was held with 8th graders at Randolph Middle School in January, and a further community lantern-workshop will be hosted at […]

Ferrisburgh Lantern Residency and Parade, March 2015

Ferrisburgh Lantern Residency and Parade, March 2015

In March I will be artist-in-residence at the Ferrisburgh Elementary School in Ferrisburgh, VT. Each student in school will be making an age-appropriate lantern and a community workshop will held on Saturday March 14th. In celebration of the Spring Equinox, the parade will be taking place on March 20th 2015 in Ferrisburgh, Vermont.

Burlington City Arts Lantern Parade Feb 2015

Posted on Feb 25, 2015 in Community, Lanterns
Burlington City Arts Lantern Parade Feb 2015

To celebrate 150 years of Burlington, Burlington City Arts invited me to teach a series of free community lantern-making workshops through the month of January, with a culminating lantern parade on February 21st 2015 after a day of celebration and music. Led by street band Brass Balagan, the parade meandered down Church Street and attracted […]

Article in Seven Days, Vermont Lantern Parades Punctuate the Darkness

Posted on Feb 25, 2015 in Community, Press

The following article, ‘Vermont Lantern Parades Punctuate the Darkness, Illuminate Community Spirit’ by Ethan De Seife,  appeared in Seven Days on February 18th 2015. http://www.sevendaysvt.com/vermont/vermont-lantern-parades-punctuate-the-darkness/Content?oid=2523941

Lantern-Making Residency and Procession at Union Elementary, Montpelier, Feb 2015

Lantern-Making Residency and Procession at Union Elementary, Montpelier, Feb 2015

In February 2015, I was artist-in-residence at Montpelier’s Union Elementary School, creating lanterns with close to 50o students and 40 community members over a three-week period. We made three different lantern styles and had plenty of help and support from parents, high school students and community folk throughout the month. The parade–to celebrate Union’s 75th […]

Pecha Kucha Burlington

Posted on Feb 25, 2015 in Community, Press
Pecha Kucha Burlington

In October of 2014, I presented my work as part of Burlington’s Pecha Kucha night at the City Hall on Church Street, Burlington, Vermont. A 7-minute video is available to watch online, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7AufAC5aI0

River of Light 2014

Posted on Feb 25, 2015 in Community, Lanterns
River of Light 2014

The 5th Annual River of Light Lantern Parade takes place on December 6th 2014. The theme for this year’s parade is ‘Our Town: Faces, Places and Buildings from your Hometown’. The accompanying education program features both community and Artists’ Workshops. More information can be found on https://ariveroflightinwaterbury.wordpress.com/

Teachers Retreat: Integrated Arts Academy

Posted on Feb 1, 2014 in Artist-in-Residence, Community, Education, Rangoli
Teachers Retreat: Integrated Arts Academy

This January I held a Rangoli workshop for the teachers of the Integrated Arts Academy in Burlington, VT for their annual retreat. We had a wonderfully productive 90 minutes, which began with a brief guided meditation to get everyone in a meditative frame of mind for creating a Rangoli. Split into smaller groups, each team […]

Rangoli in the Burlington Free Press

Posted on Sep 11, 2013 in Community, Press, Rangoli
Rangoli in the Burlington Free Press

An article on my Rangoli practice written by Megan Bantle, was featured in the Burlington Free Press, VT on Sunday September 1st 2013. An online version (with video feature) can be found below: http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/article/20130901/ARTS04/309010001/Montpelier-artist-teaches-traditional-Indian-artform